Monday, May 14, 2012

Design Camp [color outside the lines] Monochromatic Print Swap

DC [Color outside the lines] button
I have stash-envy. Or I should say, I have no stash and I dream of having a perfectly organized closet of carefully folded fabrics sorted by color and print scale. A girl can dream, can't she? I have yet to perfect the art of 'oh I must have that so I'll just buy a yard and save it for later,' as some of my fellow quilting friends do so effortlessly. I've been thinking alot about my lack-o'stash lately because I want to make a block for the Quiltcon Block challenge and I don't have any fabrics to use for that. So what's a stash-less girl to do? Why host a fabric swap, of course!

Here are the deets:
Design Camp [color outside the lines] Fabric Swap
Round 1: Monochromatic Prints
This is the first (of many, I hope!) color-inspired fabric swaps. This swap is open to 31 campers (32 including me).

Round 1 colors are inspired by the Quiltcon Block Challenge, which is based on the colors of the Quiltcon logo. Elizabeth Hartman, who is leading the Quiltcon Block Challenge, categorizes the colors into 4 groups: Hot Orange, Lemon Lime, Sea & Sky, and Cool Neutrals.

For this swap you be assigned to one of these four groups: that means there will be 8 campers in each group. Each camper will buy and cut up 1 1/8 yards of fabric into thirty-two 5" x 10" strips (A kinda half-slice of a layer cake...). They will mail that fabric to me with a SASE and will get back 32 slices of fabrics: 8 from each of the four color groups. Pretty cool deal, don't you think?

Here is a cutting guide I made (I like visuals!)
DC fabric swap cutting guide

I should add a little disclaimer here: part of the challenge is to pick your own fabrics. This swap is intended to be fun and inspirational and is not meant to dictate that these are the fabrics that should be used in your block. Please consider including, excluding and adding other fabrics if you are making a block for the challenge.

You can see the logo and read more about the colors here:
themodernquiltguild.com/2012/03/05/quiltcon-block-challen...

Read the Quiltcon Block Challenge entry rules here:
www.quiltcon.com/get-involved/quiltcon-block-challenge/

Visit the Quiltcon Block Challenge Flickr group here
www.flickr.com/groups/quiltconblockchallenge/

I made a board for inspiration over at pintest here.

Pop on over to the Design Camp [color outside the lines] Fabric Swap and request to join if you want to participate.

I also want to give credit to Made with Moxie.
Denyse Schmidt Charm Swap
I recently joined her Made with Moxie Denyse Schmidt Charm Swap Round 2 and she had a link to a Ellison Lane Quilts fantastic tutorial for how to run a happy swap on her blog. I am excited to participate in this swap too and indulge my inner stash-collector. I have no idea what I am going to do with these charm squares and I'm okay with that!
PS I bought the Denyse Schmidt turquoise Posies from Sew Mama Sew.

No comments:

Post a Comment