The challenge for the Design Camp [think outside the block] June Camp 2 is Improv Robots. Super cool idea, but a bit daunting. The idea of making a robot-anything is hard enough, but make one without a pattern or plan? Yikes! It took me a while to figure out my method, but here is a snapshot of what I did.
Step one: research images vintage robots. This was super fun and inspiring. I found this image, printed it out and hung it over my work space.
Step two: Cut out the basic shapes
I thought it would make it easier if I started with the main body pieces and filled in the details. Here is what I started with:
Step three: Details! I just went for it. I started to build out the sections bit by bit, adding sashing to fit the parts together. I think the face was the hardest part. The expression was going to give this guy his overall mood and I wanted him to be happy. A tall order and alot of tiny pieces later here is Robot-guy!
I want to give credit to Linda from Surrounded by Scraps for inspiring me to try this without over analyzing the project. She was the first in the group to post her robot and it is adorable! She shared her process on her blog which helped me to get started. Thanks Linda!
My 13 year-old daughter thought this was the 'coolest thing' I've ever made. She has requested I make her an improv dinosaur quilt. Sure - that should be easy (not!). The other challenges this month have also been fun: Camp three is 'frame it.' Melissa asked up to 'create a work of art' and then frame it with the Kona Snow sashing. Here is my block for that camp:
And for Camp 1 we are doing 9" x 12" mini quilts for the Alzheimer's Art Quilt Initiative. More to come on that project soon!