Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Go-Retro Wool Quilt in Stitch!

I am just giddy! I have two quilt projects in magazines that just came out. This is so cool! And a bit terrifying... Okay, drum roll please: Here is my Go Retro Wool Quilt!
This was such a fun project to make. I was over at Susan Beal's house one day and was telling her about my idea for a retro-inspired quilt I was planning to submit to Stitch 2012 for their Winter Wool issue and noticed the vintage Cannonburg Temporama cup she had served me coffee in matched the colors of the Pendleton Eco-Wise wool that I was working with. I knew that was what I had to make, I also had that china at home and had always loved the pattern on it. I went home, drew out the pattern and planned the design.
Eco-Wise wool is amazing to sew with. I joke at work that it 'sews like butter' but it really does! The Pendleton Woolen Mill blog gave this a really nice shout-out as well. Susan has two terrific articles in it, one about the history of wool in America and another about pattern making with Portland designer Colette. There are tons of great project, one by another local Portland designer, Daniella Caine, that also uses Pendleton wool. I am so proud to have a project be in this issue among all the other terrific designs!
My Go-Retro Quilt is on p. 53 of the magazine, the project instructions (which I wrote and illustrated) start on p. 98 and you can download the template for the pattern pieces for free on the Sew Daily website. I will admit, I have butterflies in my stomach: it is one thing to be close to a project and feel really proud about it and another thing to put it out into the world and hope that other quilters like it too. Let me know what you think! And let me know if you make one - I'd love to see some creative versions of this project out there!

5 comments:

  1. Congrats!! I saw it, it looks so so great!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Heather! I am bringing it to Pendleton today. I am looking forward to hanging out with it in the shop :-)

      Delete
  2. Congrats Michelle! I've to get that issue of Stitch magazine- I have a Temporama collection, so this would be a perfect project for me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! We might be doing a little giveaway over that the Pendleton Woolen Mill Store blog. Stay tuned!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this project! Congratulations on your publication Michelle!

    ReplyDelete